Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You Know You're My Saving Grace


It's one of those songs that I instantly liked. I love Beyoncé. I loved the melody. I loved it when they used it in a mash up in Glee. We even use it as a cool down in my Turbo Kick class. Then, without noticing it happening, I started paying attention to the lyrics and it hit me. This is a song about romantic love, but I'm claiming it for me and Soph.

As a mother to a little girl with special needs, I went through a very dark period of grief when her Ds diagnosis came to us prenatally. During a run-of-the-mill 20 week ultrasound, we were told we were having a girl and 10 minutes later that she had a serious disability and a life threatening blockage in her intestines. There was a 30% chance that she wouldn't survive to be born.

I struggled with my acceptance and began my journey into the world of parenting a child with special needs long before we ever held our daughter. Together we've come such a long way and there is no one, except her daddy, who is as proud and as fierce of a protector of her as I am. She's not only teaching me, but she's teaching others about the value of all children and she's blowing us all away while she's doing it. Truth be told, she is my hero. She is my angel. She is my saving grace and even when she's acting out as any child in the terrible twos will, baby I can feel her halo.

As I made dinner tonight, my girl and I danced it out in the kitchen. I am so very thankful for the honor to be her mom.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Great post. I like Beyonce to. Me and the boys dance to her often!