“I pledge to spread her message of hope, inclusion, and acceptance through my blog, facebook, and twitter on EKS Day, and I tag my 5 friends Cathy, RK, Amy, Becca, and Gillian and challenge you to re-post this on your blog and tell us what you pledge to do on EKS Day.”
Anyone can participate with an Act of Unity. You don't need to attend or host a big event. Your Act of Unity can be as simple as:
- emailing, texting, and using your social media outlets to spread the word about the day.
- Change your profile picture to a photo of Eunice (many images in that link to chose from), and
- use one of her iconic quotes as your status update (see below for a few examples). Click HERE to hear audio files of Eunice speaking.
- On twitter post: RT: I pledge to honor @SpecialOlympics by performing an Act of Unity on http://act.ly/2e7 RT to sign.
- Be sure to post your Act of Unity HERE.
"The days of separation and segregation are over."
"You are the stars and the world is watching you. By your presence you send a message to every village, every city, every nation. A message of hope. A message of victory. The right to play on any playing field? You have earned it. The right to study in any school? You have earned it. The right to hold a job? You have earned it. The right to be anyone's neighbor? You have earned it."
"Every person, regardless of whatever different abilities they may have, can contribute, can be a source of joy, can beam with pride and love."
"Special Olympics athletes are spokespersons for freedom itself - they ask for the freedom to live, the freedom to belong, the freedom to contribute, the freedom to have a chance. And, of all the values that unite and inspire us to seek a better world, no value holds a higher place than the value of freedom."
"Let me win, but if I cannot win let me be brave in the attempt."
"As we hope for the best in them, hope is reborn in us."
~Eunice Kennedy Shriver