Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pirate Day

Every year on September 19th is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. This year Alexander and I left the girls at home with Mark and headed to a pirate party at Independence Seaport Museum. It was an afternoon filled with pirates (actors), music, crafts, parrots from the zoo and a real pirate ship on the Delaware River. I'll never forget it and I don't think Alexander will either.

I am a grown woman who loves to dress up in costume and play a scurvy pirate and I don't care who knows it. I spent weeks getting our costumes in order, mostly from clothes we already had (my yogo capris, club shirt, earrings, Alexander's sweat pants, t-shirt, pirate hat. Our red satin sash and head scarves were scraps from the girls' blankets I made). I even found my treasure chest that I've had since I was Alexander's age. I dug a hole in the yard and filled it with booty, until it was overflowing with gold necklaces and doubloons.

I was positively giddy when the day finally arrived. I'm sure I was more excited than Alexander and Mark kept shaking his head at me (with a smile). Only once did he dare remind me that real pirates from the old days of tall ships and of today are dreadful people that do terrible things. They are terrorists and he can't understand why they are glorified. Ya, I know. So, let's move on, ok?

Exhibit A: photo taken at the Science Center in St. Louis to use in his class when they cover modern pirates

I had re-read Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson and watched the movies by Disney to get into the spirit of the day. The 1950s movie can be found on youtube. The Muppet version was On Demand on cable for free, just by coincidence though you can get it on youtube as well. Of course, that's movie piracy, but I digress.

" I saw, besides, many old sailors, with rings in their ears, and whiskers curled in ringlets, and tarry pig tails, and their swaggering, clumsy sea-walk; if I had seen as many kings or archbishops I could not have been more delighted." (Treasure Island, pg. 54)

We packed a sack lunch and headed into the city to Penn's Landing. Just before leaving Alexander started yelling something about seeing a pirate ship in the clouds above our house. Sure enough a cluster of clouds had formed in the shape of a ship, masts and all. (see slideshow for pics). Another favorite part of the day was seeing many young girls (not just boys) dressed in costume. They had fabulous costumes, complete with boots and makeup of infected gashes on their cheeks. Awesome.

So where are all the pictures you ask? I had learned about a free printed 5 x 7 photo book HERE and decided that it would make a great Christmas present for Alexander. shhh, no telling! I put the book together and the coupon worked (just pay $2.11 for shipping & tax, good through 10/31). Here's a link to our pirate book on-line. Seriously, you should check it out. I can't wait to get the printed version! *It looks like you have to sign up for a free snapfish account to view it. Here's a slideshow for those who don't want to create an account.

embedded video below. If you don't see it, click refresh or click HERE.


A short video is below. On board of the pirate ship the Gazela, Alexander got to ring the bell. The pirate said "ring it twice, but if you ring it three times you have to buy dinner!" What a great day. I can't wait for next year.

embedded video below. If you don't see it, hit refresh or click HERE
a dram o'rum for the Mum after a long and wonderful day

No comments: