Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Family Vote

I expected long lines, especially as we were voting at noon. We had lunch and lots of toys packed. When we arrived at our poling place, just 2 people were leaving, 1 person was voting ahead of us, and 4 more came while we were there. The staff were really sweet and said they already had 50% turn out for the location. They allowed us to show Alexander the voting booth and let him help us feed our ballots into the machine. He even got an I Voted sticker, though they wouldn't give him his own ballot.

Since we had lunch and the time, plus it was 74 degrees and gorgeous, we went to a park for a picnic. Mark and I both agreed that we were in the partying mood so we decided to make a really good meal for dinner. I cannot partake in his Sam Adams, but I am making twice baked potatoes and we're grilling steak and bison burgers tonight. I also picked up a yummy harvest (mixed berry) pie. mmmm

I've been particularly weepy lately and I think only some of it is due to pregnancy hormones. Today is a holiday in my house. Both kids are doing great. Sophie even has the tiniest and cutest pig tails in today. I hope Alexander can remember this day and if not, I've got pictures that they can both see when they get older. It's gorgeous out and the huge numbers that are flocking to the polls today and who voted early to participate in this democracy make me so proud of this country.

3 comments:

JaybirdNWA said...

Sounds like you guys had a great family day. I found your blog via the downsyn forum. I am Jay, Dad to John (3 months). You have a very nice looking family.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your family holiday :) The kids are growing up too fast but such cuties! Mark, I'm learning, can be a ham and you look radiant :) Thanks for sharing with us!

JRS said...

jaybirdnwa-
It was a perfect day. Thanks for stopping by. I recognize you from downsyn and John is a cutie.

whatever to us-
Aw schucks. Yes, Mark is the family Ham. And you're sweet.