Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Forty Four

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."

Elation. Pride. Hope. Jubilation.

Last night we watched history being made. We kept Alexander up through President Elect Obama's speech and although he was a crank pot this morning, I do not regret it.

I am saddened when I read my McCain supporter friend's posts about their sorrow and fear and I understand it. I understand it as I felt the exact same way 8, but most intensely 4 years ago on election night. I couldn't understand then, when I could so clearly see the writing on the wall, why so many of my fellow Americans voted for our current administration. When I read reactions from friends who warn that we'll get what we've asked for and God help us, I understand. I know how that feels because I could have written similar things in 2004. So I do feel for those who are unhappy today.

This blog is very much an electronic family album and record of our lives. After thinking about it for a long time, I've decided that I would write about last night, despite the reaction of some of my friends and family who voted differently than I did and I trust they will understand.

So, I unapologetically, unabashedly, with great joy and laughter through tears, celebrate this day. I celebrate the great hope and inspiration that this brings to our country. This is nothing short of the restoration of the American Dream. I cannot even begin to imagine the pride that must belong to African Americans this day. I join with those in London, France, South Africa and other places around the world who, regardless of the fact that it was in the middle of the night or very early morning, screamed and smiled and cheered the result of this exercise in American democracy.
The world reacts to Obama’s win
The world reacts to Obama’s win


I was very impressed with John McCain last night. His speech was so gracious and it reminded me of the politician I remember before the election process. He did a wonderful job and I was proud of him.

When President Elect Barack Obama spoke, I was moved to tears. Now, I do not agree with 100% of his positions and plan to hold his feet to the fire as much as any Momologist can. I will join others' voices who demand that he do better for our country than the state of IL has done for our loved ones with special needs. Certainly, there will be issues that we will differ on, but for now I am sold, hook, line, and sinker. I wish so badly that I could have been in Grant Park last night.

Johannesburg - Anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela congratulated US president elect Barack Obama on his victory on Wednesday, saying he was an inspiration to people all over the world.

"Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place," Mandela said in a letter to Obama. "We note and applaud your commitment to supporting the cause of peace and security around the world. We trust that you will also make it the mission of your presidency to combat the scourge of poverty and disease everywhere. "We wish you strength and fortitude in the challenging days and years that lie ahead. We are sure you will ultimately achieve your dream making the United States of America a full partner in a community of nations committed to peace and prosperity for all," said Mandela.

As much for my own record as anything else, here are a few video clips that I've greatly enjoyed.
The Daily Show

Oprah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sing it from the roof tops!! the prairie

JRS said...

the prairie-
Go tell it on the mountain!