Sunday, November 23, 2008

Home for the Holidays

I've explained before that we're not going home for the holidays, or at least Thanksgiving that is. I had to put my big girl pants on and realize what was best for my family. What is best is saving the $ & the trouble that travelling with a young family brings, and giving Mark some time to get his book revisions done. Yes, I am very proud of him.

Still, despite the annoyances of travel, idiosyncrasies of family members, and sometimes sheer nuttiness of large family gatherings, I do love them. This will be my first Thanksgiving away from the extended fam. I've decided that it's ok to acknowledge being sad, but I need to make it special for my family. We'll have plenty to gorge on and Christmas decorations to put up, naps to take and ball games to watch. It will be a good day.

We have lots of traditions throughout the holidays. One is writing down what we are thankful for in our Book of Thanks. This will be year 4 of this tradition, though I left it in IA for the large family gathering. We'll add ours at Christmas. It's been fun to read over previous year's entries and watch the family grow and change as we turn the pages.

Certain movies are 'required' this time of year too. For Thanksgiving, it's Home for the Holidays. Directed by Jodie Foster in 1995, the cast includes; Holly Hunter, Robert Downey Jr., Anne Bancroft, Dylan McDermott, Geraldine Chaplin, Steve Guttenburg, Claire Danes, Cynthia Stevenson, & Charles Durning.

The film is full of kooky family members, arguments, flying turkey, profanity, general dysfunction and nuttiness. It shows the struggles that happen surrounding family gatherings while still celebrating loved ones and traditions. Hmm. I wonder why I enjoy it so much? Watch for it on tv this Thanksgiving season, though I suppose it's not for everyone. If this sounds like your kind of movie, here's a little taste from the Thanksgiving dinner blessing scene. clip rated PG13

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We'll miss ya, but you pegged it.
Love,
Liz

Amy Flege said...

You know, we were in the same boat as you a few years ago. We finally sucked it up and stayed home to make our OWN family traditions. I took come from a large extended family and I miss it but you gotta do what ya gotta do!! I hope you have a wonderful time home this year~