Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tempest in a Teapot?

Google yourself today and see what you find. When I did it yesterday I found a blog post in which the writer (and middle school educator) discusses the Tropic Thunder controversy and the "R" word. He uses my name as if he had spoken with me and understood my motivations at our rally. Despite saying that parents of children with special needs are 'heroic,' he's misinformed on a number of issues (which I address in my comment) including his conclusion that activists are involved only because other organizations are. At the end of this post, he writes:

'Now it’s your turn. Is the use of the word “retard” ever acceptable? Does “Tropic Thunder” use this term in an exploitive manner or in an effort to underscore ignorant behavior? Is this controversy a valid one or a tempest in a teapot?'

It's not a new debate by any stretch and there are far more nasty blog posts about this issue out there. He's asked for a dialogue, so if you have a few minutes, feel free to go there and share your thoughts.

Here's my favorite Erin Smith image for the moment:

No comments: