Friday, October 24, 2008

Palin Speaks About Special Needs

Today Gov. Sarah Palin spoke in Pittsburgh about children and adults with special needs. It's a subject way to close to home not to mention, despite my personal opinions. (Text of the speech here).

An Obama campaign spokesperson responded: "Senator Obama has consistently been clear that he would not increase taxes on families making less than $250,000 a year," spokesman Sean Smith said in a statement. "John McCain's own health care plan would actually cut $1.3 trillion from Medicare and Medicaid that children with disabilities truly depend on, which makes this attack especially hypocritical."

I am blessed with friends who are liberal, conservative, moderate, independent, republican, democrat, pro-choice, and pro-life. We manage to get along quite well, despite some pretty big differences in opinion and political affiliations. So, for the sake of being informed, feel free to read the speech and leave a comment if you wish. Just please be nice if you do.

3 comments:

RK said...

Thanks, my dearest "flaming" liberal BFF. Good stuff. I hadn't see this one yet.

Love, your conservative, repub, pro-life pal.

:o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this- honestly, I don't think I've been this conflicted over any election since I became able to vote...indecision 08 is exactly right for me!

JRS said...

rk and whatever to us-
You're welcome.

The VP candidate of one of the two big parties spoke on an issue of great importance to me, so I paid attention. However, I have many problems with what I heard. See, Palin announced that she had a 3 point plan, but then only went on to somewhat elaborate on her stump speech comment about being "a friend in the White House to families who have children with special needs." Fully funding IDEA is no new idea, nor is it owned by the GOP. Obama has supported that too for a long time. As for her attack on Obama's tax plan that it would hurt families who have trusts for thier children with special needs, well, that's really something. Either it is true or it's not. I'm not a campaign spokesperson, but I believe the attack to be false. If it is not true, doesn't it make it a lie? So, Palin spoke to my community, families with children who have special needs, and attempted to instill fear of her running mate's opponent. To me, that speaks more in volumes about the GOP campaign and character of Palin than anything I've heard so far. Unfortunatley, many families who have children with special needs probably heard her speak and will sing her praises, believing every word. I do not question Palin's sincerity when she speaks of her sister's child who has autism or Trig. I do question everything else in this speech. Sorry to my friends in red if this offends.