Saturday, October 11, 2008

Tagged

I've been tagged by Bethany at Dreaming on an Angel ... the task at hand is to divulge six random facts about myself that others might not know.

1. I've worked with child abuse prevention and domestic violence intervention programs since high school. My last position was running a 24 hour a day 7 day a week crisis hotline for DV victims in Madison, WI for 5+ years. I miss the work terribly and will get back to it some day.
2. I served in AmeriCorps as a VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) for 1 year in my home town of Waterloo, IA and then for more than a year in Washington D.C. as VISTA Leader. Both programs focused on literacy and mentoring programs in schools.
3. When I was little, my 2 front teeth were ripped out of my mouth in a tree swing accident a full year before they should have.
4. The first time I was ever out of the country (besides Tijuana) was to go to Russia with Mark. We stayed in Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Sochi. Prior to our trip we became involved with a fabulous organization called ROOF or Russian Orphan Opportunity Fund. They do not work in adoptions but focus instead on working with children in orphanages. Before this trip we raised enough money to support programs and services for Podol'sk Orphanage. While in Moscow, we visited the main office for ROOF and Podol'sk Orphanage. The hockey jersey Mark is wearing in the last Wordless Wednesday post is from the Podol'sk hockey team. We've stayed in contact with ROOF over the years and done a few more fundraisers. I promise to post more about this amazing group, but until then, please check them out here.
5. I gave birth to Sophie in the back of a moving vehicle. Read about it here.
6. I detest buying postage stamps. Even more so, I detest giving any stamps away, even if the person needing one is willing to pay. They don't just cost 41 cents because you have to drive to get them and go in the P.O. If you have money for the machine, you may get out quickly, but if not, you'll likely be stuck in line for a few stinking 41 cent stamps! I'd buy a bunch, but the prices are raised often enough that I'd just rather not. It's a weird peeve, I know.

So now, here's who I tag: Braska, Cathy, Amy, Renee, Sarah, and Gillian
There is no pressure to play. Frankly I wish these things asked you to pass them on to just 1 or 2 people. You won't hurt my feelings if you choose not to participate, but I'd love to read your responses.

If I tagged you, here are the rules ...
1. Link to the person that tagged you.
2. Post the rules on the blog.
3. Write six random facts about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged.
6. Let the taggers know when your entry is up.

4 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

Oh my goodness!!! I just read the birthing story. Now that is a determined little girl. This is Sarah's mom, Joyce. I just came back onto your site now that Sarah is in bed to read the instructions about your post. Sarah was so excited, but I am just learning this bloging world, so I had to have quiet time to concentrate:) You smart, young moms are so hard to keep up with:) I think I've got it now, so Sarah and I will work on it tomorrow. Thanks for thinking of her.

Anonymous said...

I new all of these things except the postage stamp thing...interesting. At least now I know what to get you for Christmas! LOL...JK love the prairie

Anonymous said...

knew...not new...sorry

JRS said...

Joyce-
I'm excited that she's excited. Can't wait to read her facts!

the prairie-
Good plan. Send 'em in time for Christmas cards and I'll be eternally grateful.